University Studies, Certificate - GST7
Choosing a future career and a college major that you want to commit to can be challenging. This certificate helps those individuals start gaining college credits, while giving them the opportunity to take a variety of courses to help them find their interests.
|Courses||Course Title||Credit Hours|
|General Education Courses|
|ENG 101||English Composition I||3|
|ENG 102||English Composition II||3|
|Other Courses Required for Graduation|
|Complete 24 credit hours of courses transferable to South Carolina public senior institutions||24|
Application and Advising
If you are ready to start your education, there are a few simple steps involved in enrolling at Piedmont Technical College.
The following information provides a guide for advisors who are helping students enroll in this program.
- This program can be completed on a part-time or a full-time basis. Classes can be started any semester.
- Students and advisors are encouraged to review the Transfer Guides. These guides give institution-specific information about courses required for individual majors, bridge programs, articulation agreements, etc. The "Requirements for Individual Majors" link will outline preferred courses to complete the associate degree while expediting the completion of a bachelor's degree.
- University Studies Certificate graduates can transfer directly to any state-supported four-year institution in SC. Overall, credits from PTC are accepted at more than 23 institutions in SC and surrounding states. Refer to transfer guide links to see which PTC courses are equivalent to those required by the senior institution the student is planning to attend.
- The final decision as to the transferability of courses will be made by the senior institution at the time of transfer. For protection, the student should visit the senior institution and secure approval of all courses.
- Bridge programs have been established that will give students' benefits that vary by institution. Joining a bridge program is not required to transfer to any public four-year college.
- Depending on the senior institution, transfer credit of sciences may require completion of a series and may require enrollment in a face-to-face lab (not online).
- Students can transfer back credit to Piedmont Technical College and complete their Associate's Degree while enrolled at their senior institution. See Student Records for more details.
Notes About Individual Classes
- Every student should take ENG 101 and ENG 102. At some institutions, ENG 101 and 102 will transfer in as ENG 103. Please check the senior institution's catalog for more details.
- When advising for SPA 101, we strongly recommend that students successfully complete ENG 101 before attempting SPA 101.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
The University Studies Certificate provides students a foundation in the liberal arts and is designed to transfer into the Associate in Arts, Associate in Science, or a variety of Baccalaureate programs at a four-year institution.
Student Learning Outcomes
(General Education Student Learning Outcomes)
- Communicate effectively.
- Read with Comprehension.
- Write with standard English.
- Apply mathematical skills appropriate to an occupation.
- Apply mathematical skills to solve problems.
- Perform computational skills.
- Read and interpret and draw conclusions.
- Employ effective processes for resolving and making decisions.
- Integrate information to solve problems.
- Summarize information and draw conclusions.
- Demonstrate the basic computer skills necessary to function in a technological world.
- Located and retrieve information in digital environments.
- Adapt, apply, and construct information in electronic environments (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.).