You are urged to establish a close relationship with your Academic Advisor. Your Academic Advisor is a faculty member assigned to help you set and reach your academic and career goals.
Why should I meet with an Academic Advisor? What are my advisor’s roles and responsibilities?
Your advisor will:
- Assist in creating degree plans consistent with your academic and career goals.
- Interpret college and career requirements.
- Discuss academic problems or concerns.
- Refer to appropriate resources to encourage academic success.
- Clarify academic policies and procedures.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Be sensitive to your unique needs as a student.
- Be available for advising appointments and respond in a timely manner.
- Provide the Registration Code to enable you to register for classes.
What are my responsibilities in the advising process?
- Schedule an appointment, show up on time and come prepared for the advising session.
- Recognize that you are responsible for monitoring progress, meeting requirements and deadlines.
- Understand college and financial aid policies and procedures.
- Commit enough time to the advising process.
- Seek assistance with decisions.
- Follow through with advisor referrals to resources and services.
- Access DegreeWorks, the PTC website, and campus communication tools regularly.
How do I prepare for my advising appointment?
- Review the requirements of your major.
- Review your degree plan and academic progress.
- Consider your long and short term goals and determine if you are meeting them or if adjustments are needed.
- For transfer majors, research potential transfer colleges/universities.
- For health care majors, review program-ready requirements, program-ready GPA, and program application process.
- Come prepared with questions.
- Review the advising syllabus online.
Who is my advisor?
- Your advisor’s name can be found on the Student tab in PTC Pathway.
- Health Care Certificate students will be advised by CAREplan advisors.