Academic Probation

All Piedmont Technical College students must maintain a 2.0 cumulative grade point average (GPA) to be considered in satisfactory academic standing. It is the policy of Piedmont Technical College to require that a 2.0 cumulative GPA be maintained for continued enrollment. In order to continue receiving VA benefits, a student must maintain satisfactory progress.

Academic Warning

A student whose cumulative grade point average (GPA) falls below a 2.0 will be placed on academic warning (AW). A notification is issued to each student with recommendations for academic improvement including tutoring, counseling with the Student Success Center staff, reduced academic load, etc.

Academic Probation

A student previously placed on academic warning who does not earn a cumulative 2.0 GPA or higher at the end of the next term of enrollment is placed on academic probation (AP). Notification is issued to each student explaining the process for continuing enrollment at PTC.

Any student placed on Academic Probation is required to meet with an AP Counselor to complete an AP Contract. The AP Counselor will calculate the required grades necessary to progress towards satisfactory standing in the next semester. Students are not eligible to register for the next term until the AP Contract is completed and all grades for the current term are posted.

Extended Academic Probation

If a student fails to earn a cumulative 2.0 GPA or higher at the end of the first term on Academic Probation, the student will be placed on Extended Academic Probation for one additional semester. Notification is issued to each student explaining expectations for the Extended Academic Probation period and the potential for suspension if the student’s cumulative GPA does not rise to a 2.0 or higher. Students on Extended Academic Probation are subject to the same restriction as those on Academic Probation as explained above.

During the additional semester on probation, the student should make contact with a counselor to explore further resources to assist the student in meeting the 2.0 standard for maintaining satisfactory academic standing. PTC may also reach out to these students to offer supplementary services, if available.

Academic Suspension

A student on Extended Academic Probation who fails to earn a cumulative GPA of a 2.0 or higher at the end of the next term of enrollment will be placed on Academic Suspension and will be suspended from attending classes at PTC for the following academic term. When the student re-enters the college, the student remains on Academic Suspension status and must complete a new AP Contract for the incoming term prior to registration. Failure to achieve an acceptable GPA after re-admission makes the student subject to Academic Dismissal for a period of one year. When a student is on Academic Suspension, all financial aid and veterans benefits are automatically terminated.

Academic Dismissal

A student placed on Academic Suspension who fails to achieve a minimum cumulative 2.0 at the end of the term of re-enrollment or a 2.5 semester GPA will be subject to Academic Dismissal for a period of one calendar year. After one year of non-enrollment, the student may reapply to the college for admission and meet with a New Student Advisor or County Campus Advisor for advising and registration assistance.

Appeals Process

In the event of unusual or extenuating circumstances a student may appeal an academic suspension or academic dismissal. The Academic Appeals Committee will hear appeals prior to the start of classes each term. Students wishing to appeal their suspension must submit appropriate documentation of their extenuating circumstances and may request to appear before the committee. The Committee will decide whether to uphold the suspension/dismissal or to allow the student to register for the following term. The Committee will also determine if certain conditions will be required for continued enrollment, such as reduced load, academic counseling, tutoring, etc. If the student’s appeal is denied by the Committee, a petition for continued enrollment may be made to the President or designee.

Detailed instructions on how to file an appeal are available to students in the Student Handbook. Dates for appeals will be posted in the calendar in Pathway.